Dear Friend of Sanari
We would like to share with you a bit about Edulife Group, our most recent investment in affordable and accessible education. Edulife is the largest independent schools group in the Free State. With humble origins of 6 students in 1998 serving the deeply under-privileged Batho Township in Bloemfontein, the Academy of Excellence has grown into a community of 1214 learners and their families across primary and high school, offering quality education where the alternatives are dire. For the 2019 year, Academy of Excellence achieved 100% matric pass rate and 60% university exemption.
With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and the shuttering of schools, Edulife showed remarkable agility, innovation and deep care and commitment for their community. Within days of the President’s early announcement they initiated interventions that would see their students and their families through these toughest of times. These included:
- Detailed data collection on the means and technology/data capabilities of every student
- Daily communication via Whatsapp messaging and videos from teachers, principals and the CEO of the group – serving not just to ensure the continuation of education but to be a trusted source of information on the pandemic and health measures, and a source of psychological support and reassurance to both learners and parents that we will indeed get through this together
- Implementation of digital / distance learning through multiple virtual but low-tech, accessible channels – classes and class materials, including assignments and assessments have been delivered successfully via Whatsapp to most students, and telephonically to those who do not have data or smart phones. Teachers and principals are engaging with each child to ensure that none are not left behind
- Children have remained engaged and stimulated through the lockdown period, providing families with constructive distractions from the daily struggle and psychological safety and connection with their broader community
The results have been so rewarding! We are proud of the efforts made by every teacher, administrator, parent and learner and see Edulife as a leading example of ‘where there is a will there is a way’. They have begun planning to open up their distance learning beyond their current student base in order to help more students in this time of great need.
But now we need some help…please read further to hear how you can help…
How to Help
As expected, the financial impact of the lockdown has hit the community hard. The basics, however, have run out even quicker than expected.
Parents remain committed to their children’s education and school fees not payable now will at a future date be settled and the school is grateful for the community’s commitment. Plans are in place for the school to manage financially and sustainably through the COVID-19 pandemic. What we are worried about is children and families going without food.
We have identified 124 families at risk, with 71 families currently without income. Many of these families have income sources from the informal sector, such as the father who is a taxi rank conductor and currently unable to perform his function. Whilst most of these jobs will return when restrictions are lifted, we cannot allow our children and their families to go hungry in the meantime.
The school raised an initial funding amount to get emergency food parcels out to the 71 families. We are now seeking to raise additional donations to provide for a further 14 weeks of food parcels to these families.
Sanari would like support Edulife to raise R280,000 from our investors, portfolio, business networks and friends in support of our vulnerable students and families. Any amounts will be valued. Please consider supporting this initiative, and note the following:
- Donations are made to our non-profit company Edulife NPC, and a Section 18a tax certificate will be issued for donations (please email Ryno Taljaard on firstname.lastname@example.org to request your certificate)
- There are no administration charges – the budget is included on the next page
- Edulife is more than a school, it is a community, and in times like these they are a lifeline and direct outreach point.
To donate, please make your payment to the following bank account details:
Reference: Your name, Food Donation
Please see the letters below from Academy of Excellence for details to make your donation and contact primary school Principal Jolene van der Merwe with any queries (Tel. 083 557 2332 or email@example.com). There is a further opportunity to sponsor laptops/tablets and/or data/connectivity for senior students to facilitate their studying. Please contact the high school Principal Tommie Fourie to donate (Tel. 072 420 1572 or firstname.lastname@example.org). Sanari Capital and our individual team members have made an upfront R20,000 contribution to this initiative and we invite you to join us.
Stay safe and thank you for your continued support of Sanari’s portfolio of companies making a meaningful difference in our country.
Moushmi & the Sanari team
Please find links to the school letters regarding food and other learning resource needs: